Monday, April 25, 2011

"YOU'RE ALL OVER THE PLACE"











So many times in my life, in my professional life, I have heard this phrase directed at me. Along with "just focus." I am pretty tired of it. Because I always feel the need to have to defend myself, to show that I can focus as well as anyone, on ONE thing, on ONE project, if and when I need to...when it's called for. And when my brain and spirit have the opportunity to travel, to run free, to explore, to be drawn to a variety of sparks and inspirations, I like to allow them to do that. For me, that's where the creative and personal magic emanate from. The openness to see opportunities, and passions, almost anywhere. I certainly understand that it takes focus to manifest anything, to take it from an idea to a 3-dimensional reality. I am all about that, too. Yet I have come to realize that when people "suggest" that I am "all over the place", it is about there stuff...the limitations that can often arise from being, possibly, TOO focused, or playing in a sandbox in their lives that may be more limiting than they would like. It's so easy to happen. Work, life, family, any or all the above provide their own realities and boundaries. Yet it's up to us, for ourselves, to bring in as many of the 64 colors (or is it 128) from the Crayola Box as we want. To me, that's where the rich texture of life comes in, the fabric of my existence. Asking me why I don't "just" work on one thing is like asking a farmer with vibrant fields of many vegetables why he doesn't grow "just" lettuce...or someone with an exquisite garden, billowing with 20 different annuals and perennials why "just" roses are not enough. Our lives become the products of what we plant, and water, seed and nourish. I appreciate productivity and the outgrowth of manifesting results. And I long for even more in my life. I will, however, never lose my deep appreciation for all the gifts that come my way from living a life of passion and diversity on many levels. It keeps my brain, my body and my soul humming...all the time. I am blessed.

1 comment:

RUTH ANNE WOOD (RAW) said...

Jonathan, this post is a good example why our mutual friend Carle Robbins probably sent me here.

I'm the girl who likes to mix five kinds of ice creams, soups or enjoy pot luck smorgasbords of friendships and passions.

That's what my blog http://LiveYourPeace.com features interviews with an ever growing coloring box of rich stories from award winning artists, musicians, community leaders, adventurers, neighbors, entrepreneurs... people who don't fit in a box.

Mother nature is all over the place and I don't notice anyone complaining she's unfocused. Keep sharing Jonathan!

-Ruth Anne Wood